Cannot remove emulsion

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hammerfist32
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Cannot remove emulsion

Post by Hammerfist32 »

I have recently switched from using film to liquid emulsion. I use Diazo cure violet photoemulsion DZ 343 from chromaline. The first couple times I used it, the screens washed out like normal. But lately I spray the remover and try to remove the emulsion but either nothing happens or only about half of the emulsion comes off. I was using 660 reclaimer from chromaline, but since that hasnt been having an effect lately I have also tried ICC 935 remover from ICC chemicals. That also has no effect. I havent done anything different from the screens that washed out fine until. What could I possibly be doing wrong?
d fleming

Re: Cannot remove emulsion

Post by d fleming »

Are you using a power washer?
Dynamik Graphics
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Cannot remove emulsion

Post by Dynamik Graphics »

If you've applied emulsion remover to a screen, attempted a rinse without success, and then left it to dry, then the screen is likely emulsion-locked and will need a special kind of chemical to get the emulsion out (or you can send it off to have it re-meshed).

d fleming also makes a good point - a pressure washer is practically a necessity when reclaiming screens. If you don't have one, scoop up a few quarters and go to your local carwash (at night, preferably, so you won't hold day-timers up), wipe it down with emulsion remover, let it set for a minute or two (lay it flat on the ground, well-side down, so the chemical will "settle" on the screen, instead running down to the bottom if you keep it propped up).

After it sits for a few mins, hit it with the pressure washer.

My wife tried rinsing one with a garden hose once and failed miserably. I barely got the emulsion out with a PW.

Never allow emulsion remover to stay on a screen long enough to dry.
Dynamik Graphics
Artwork Solutions for the Printing Industry