Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

dan123
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

screen printing detail

Post by dan123 »

Hi, I am a graphic designer and have never done any screen printing myself before. I got the Speedball "ultimate screen printing kit" for Christmas and am planning to use it on a piece I'm designing right now. I've got some pretty fine line work as well as some things that might require some fairly close registration. (See attached for a screen cap of the in progress artwork. Actual dimensions are 4.5" x 5.5") The thinnest strokes are .75 pts (in Illustrator). I am planning to screen print the final design on a blue box with dark blue and gold inks. I'm guessing I'll have to rig some things up to screen print on a box and to get close registration... does anyone see any other problems (or impossibilities) with this? Is my line work too thin?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Danny
Attachments
Picture 51.png
Picture 51.png (74.52 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: screen printing detail

Post by tompaine »

0.75pt is pretty huge, you need to learn to trap - give your gold a stroke of (say) 1pt and set it to overprint in attributes, you won't need to butt-fit.
Shenandoah Designs
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: screen printing detail

Post by Shenandoah Designs »

My older version of Illustrator will put strokes a lot smaller. I've put strokes of 0.05 on things before.