Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

barryk
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Spot UV on paper

Post by barryk »

I run an offset printing company and I would like to do some testing with Spot UV on printed offset work.

I have on offline UV roller coater so I thought I could make use of the conveyor and lamps for the UV.

Unfortunately I know nothing about screen printing and even ran a local ad for someone with experience to show me the ropes but no luck. I am looking for insights into the following:
- type of UV clear ink to get (vicscosity of ink to use?)
- type of screen mesh count to work with
- anything else to be of help

I was out one day and bought a screen from a local store and tried with my own coating (for use in roller coater) but had no luck.

Thanks.
geneh
Intern
Intern

Re: Spot UV on paper

Post by geneh »

The type of UV ink for spot printing on off set printed material depends on what ink you use for your off set printing. I would contact Norcote International and ask them what they would recommend. As for a screen mesh this will be recomended by the ink supplier but i would say probably a 380 34 micron thread mesh would work. This also depends on how the ink flows and how gloss you want your overprint to look I have gone down as low as a 230 40 micron thread mesh. You are on the correct path to use a UV overprint instead of a solvent overprint. UV inks are about 99% solids they have little to none solvent evaperation so they don't generaly affect other ink systems.

I hope this helps.