TIRED OF BEING FOILED BY FOIL!!!

Discuss the various aspects of textile screen printing.
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

jtlavin
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

TIRED OF BEING FOILED BY FOIL!!!

Post by jtlavin »

Hi, I am new to screen printing and I am experiencing a tremendous amount of frustration over getting down foil. I use Unions adhesive (the plastisol type) and some foil from Rheetech over in L.A. I have tried using 60 mesh but have recently switched to using 110's. My equipment is not top of the line but I am wondering if maybe that is part of my problem. I have a simple flash cure unit from BBC with no temp control or anything like that. I also have an Atlas dryer with forced air and exhaust as well. My off-contact shims are 1/8 of an inch. I use sharp squeegees with a durometer around 60 - 70. I have typically been using a 60 - 70 degree angle and a pull stoke to deposit ink ( and a push stroke to flood). Being new to the business though, and having never been taught how to print, I am almost positive that my problem is entirely in the application itself. After stroking as evenly as I can the adhesive is never applied evenly (even though it is stirred well and has low viscosity).

At times when the adhesive appears to be applied somewhat evenly it is never uniformly smooth. Instead, it has pinholes or valleys and peaks despite the screen appearing to clear properly after it pops up after application. I was told to flash cure in between adhesive coats so that the new coat, being applied over the gelled first coat, would fill in these holes. However, the new coat appears to have the same problem as the first. One may think that these peaks and or pinholes would simply melt down together when the print is heat pressed after being cured, but such is not the case. I have altered the heat press temperature, pressure, and time to no avail.

My screens may also be a source of the problem as I use a 500 watt Halogen lamp for 30 minutes at about 2 feet of distance. I also coat the screens 2x on the print side and 1x on the squeegee side (in the oppposite direction). The emulsion coat or stencil on the print side of the screen is super thin. My screens, when held up to the light, appear to be open in the image area but how do I know when scum or a microscopic film is causing my screens to clog, thus creating these dimples. After the application of the foil it does not adhere in the places that were uneven (at times the cured adhesive looks more like the surface of the moon rather than a smooth freshly paved road). To simplify I am looking for the answers to a few key questions:

1. How long and what temp do I need use in order to properly cure the foil adhesive prior to applying the foil on the heat press.
2. How much distance should there be between the t-shirts and the heating plates in my oven?
3. How long and what temp do I need to use in order to properly flash cure and gel the adhesive in between coats
4. How many coats of adhesive should I use and how on earth do you ensure a smooth coating everytime, consistently???!! (Given we use a manual press)
5. I use heavy pressure and 375 for the heat press and anywhere between 8 - 25 sec. do I need to alter temp, time or pressure
6. Is simply fanning the applied and heated foil sheet with a piece of cloth for like 15 sec enough to ensure that the super hot foil has properly cooled.
7. Should I rub the foil with a piece of cloth after pressing it?
8. PUSH Vs. PULL stroking and should my initial stroke be a little heavier (w/o bending the squeegee) to allow the foil to penetrate the garment.
9. Is there anything I can do to make for a more durable (washable) foil print. What is the top of the line adhesive and or foil itself, or does that even matter.

Please forgive the novel I just made you read but it felt really good to finally document all of my frustrations in this inquiry. I would GREATLY appreciate ANY advice. Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays!!! :D

-Jeff