New Management

Discuss day to day business affairs.
Including: Scheduling, Pricing, Money Managment, Employees, Wages, Business Opportunities & Marketing
Industry Work Shops and Classes
jrose83
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

New Management

Post by jrose83 »

Hello! I am stuck in a sticky situation. I have just been promoted to managing our office staff, wonderful news for me! However, the rest of the staff who have all been here about five years longer than me, are not adjusting as well. They are all in their late 40's, early 50's, and I am only 24. I think the lack of experience, and the age is really bothering them.

I am having a hard time getting them to cooperate with any new ideas I have. My job is to basically streamline the sales process, and get them going on getting new/more sales.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you!
jrose83
TMP_D
Intern
Intern

Re: New Management

Post by TMP_D »

Ya those situations can be rough,

From what I’ve seen, the trick with some older people is to get them to see how the new things you’re doing, are smarter or more efficient, then the old ways they have done things, you can’t force it though, some will see it some wont (ever), but most individuals would chose a more efficient / less tedious way of doing things, but if they feel you are just younger and out to do things different, they might not see the benefit to what you’re doing

I’m sure if you can show someone how to have better sales, they will jump at it, even though they still might not give you the credit for it

Good Luck
HelpRunMyshop.com
Intern
Intern

Post by HelpRunMyshop.com »

I am in the same boat. Make them respect you age shouldn't and doesn't matter. I was also the bosses son that made things even worse from the start but after i fired one guy they all understood who was in charge.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Dont be a kiss ass!
Back in the day (20 years or so ago) people weren't so sensitive.

If you got promoted that means you are good or worth more then them for some reason.
If they give you a hard time tell them to suck it up or quit....You are there boss now right?

I am only 33 but I have been working since I was 12 and owned my own business since I was 18.
I have had people 40+ years older then me as employees over the years and most of them will respect you if you know your shit.

New School Thinking is what is going to fix the economy
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.